Friday 15 October 2010

Fallow period


When I look at this blog, it reminds me of how little we have done on the allotment this year. I think after years of graft with fairly small yields, we needed a break.  The strawberries in particular were so disappointing that I was on the verge of giving up altogether.  Mostly it was just losing the habit of going there all the time.


We have been lucky enough to have a lot going on this year.  I lost the end of my finger in December, we moved house in February, and then we seemed to spend every weekend or holiday going up North to see our distant families.  We had two wonderful family holidays in the Isle of Wight and Scotland, then Fern started school this Autumn.  Only now are we catching our breath back!

Nature was still kind to us.  We got some fantastic crops with very little input, like the potatoes.


Later this year we are hoping to get a greenhouse for the first time, and I think this will give us renewed enthusiasm for growing.  I think having had a fallow period will do us (and maybe the soil?) good.  I am just about to pay this year's allotment invoice, and this was definitely a moment to reflect on the next stage of our allotment progress.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean I have not been in the garden as often as I should have been this year. Life just doesn't wait till you get the seeds and plants in, or the harvest picked. Hopefully we will both do better next time. You know it is in our blood we can't give it up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there's just life,
    Thanks for the comments you have left, and sorry to have not replied before.
    Isn't that true about life? It is relentless, and seasons come and go.

    I have higher hopes for this year. Last year we had a lot of family events which put us on the road, and this year we are around more.

    Fingers crossed!
    x

    ReplyDelete